Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jim and Flo






While visiting Southern California one of my goals was to visit my grandparents grave. They have been gone a long time. My Grandma died in 1968 coincidentally the same day as my Mother, November 21st. My Grandpa died in 1971. However, I still remember them. My Grandma loved her flowers, especially her rose bush tree. Ice tea was one of her favorites. My Grandpa had previously suffered a stroke. So my only memory of him was that he was bed ridden.

Sadly, my main memories are those of my Mom and I visiting their graveside in Rose Hills Cemetary every Memorial Day. Driving out there this time I wondered why they had picked sites so far out. However, driving into the cemetery and seeing all the beautiful rose bushes I had my answer, it had been Grandma's pick for sure. Such beautiful flowers, rows and rows of them.

Back to way back when... my Mom and I would first start by stopping and picking out the perfect flowers, Mom referring to each of their personal favorites. Then off to the cemetery. Mom, so sweetly, would rake and sweep and clean their graves and place the flowers just so. I suppose visiting there again made me feel very emotional because I missed my grandparents but mostly my Mom. I missed that time with her. Something she did or we did every year without fail. Now my Mom has been gone for such a long time - 24 years. It doesn't seem possible. I miss her. I am thankful to have been able to go there again. I just wish it had been with my Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mommy. I love you so much. I am glad that you could go and take some time to think about your mom and grandparents. I wish she and I both could have been with you. ~Aimee

    ReplyDelete