Friday, August 28, 2009

Ridgway and Ouray
















We spent the day in Ridgway and Ouray. Ridgway is between Montrose and Ouray. The town boasts the fact that True Grit was filmed there. The park in the center of town is where they filmed the hanging scene. John Wayne loved the area with good reason - The San Juan Mountains are amazing. If you remember Dennis Weaver - he also made his home there. He passed away about 4 years ago. A couple of his grandsons worked at the True Grit Cafe.

In Ouray we went to a box canyon that had an amazing waterfall - that was pretty strong for the end of summer. It was a little creepy to me - climbing down into the canyon. Surrounded by to many rocks. I am glad I did get to see it and glad I got out!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got out too. I've always seen the signs for box Canyon but never went on that road. Gorgeous pictures.

    Love, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful. I love the picture of the fire dept. Ridgway looks teeny tiny.

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete