Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Duke, My Little Boy












We adopted Duke just over a year ago. He was owned by a friend of ours, Ricky. He was moving and could no longer keep him - so we volunteered. Duke was somewhere around 15 when we got him. He was a Jack Russel mix. Two years before he came to us he had been bit on the back end by a coyote. Which left him paralyzed. He could walk, a bit awkward but he got around. In just the last couple months he stopped walking all together. He totally depended on me to get him to the bathroom, to his food and water dish and ultimately to bed every night. He was always so sweet to snuggle with me. Especially if I'd been gone on a trip or even away all day. He'd snuggle into me... so happy I'd returned. This last week Duke got tired. He has slowly been helping me to let him go. Yesterday at 2:46 we had him put to sleep. It certainly was one of the hardest things I've had to do and it was equally as hard on Larry. We will have him cremated and given back to the friend we adopted him from. Ricky's parents ashes are scattered high in the mountains of Colorado. Duke belongs there as well. I miss that little boy and I'm so grateful he took to loving me.
Bye Duke - your a good boy.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that. It is one of the hardest things to do to put your pet to sleep. It's a shame they only live 15 or so years. Remember the fun, remember the love, remember your friend and loyal companion. Dogs truely are man's (and woman's) best friend. So long Duke. Any friend of my Sister Beth...is a friend of mine. Clint

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. Love you, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry mommy! No one could have loved him better than you did! He loved you too. I love the picture of you with him and the one with him in the little hat- so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the picture with Duke in his hat. It looks like he's smiling! I know its never easy loosing a pet, I'm so sorry. I'm sure you gave him the best life a little dog could have.

    ReplyDelete